Thursday, December 18, 2008

E.G.G.s

A week ago or so, my Pal Noah and I had an egg day. He had made chipotle eggs for our Thanksgiving celebration, and we were disappointed to only get to eat one of these yummy thangs. So we devoted a night to making some more for us to have all to ourselves.

We also made a stop at the giant asian grocery store, the MT Supermarket. If you've never been, I'd highly recommend taking a field trip there. One can easily spend several hours there. 

Sweet, spicy, crunchy anchovy friends.

We picked up some dumplings and buns to eat, and I got my favorite snacks- crispy sesame anchovy snacks.  I also got some corn flavored gummies, dried shredded squid, and mung bean cakes. All very tasty indeed. 

Our star egg.

Once at my abode the egg feast began. We each ate 4 eggs, or 8 deviled chipotle eggs. These following our dumpling and bun meal. I was about ready to puke.. but we were determined little egg eaters!! I think I got my egg fill for the rest of this year. I even avoided them at the Country Club lunch. 


"Century egg, preserved egg, hundred-year egg, thousand-year egg."

I also found preserved duck eggs at the supermarket. After dissecting Balut last year, I've always wanted to try these guys. And I must say, it was one of the worst things I have ever put into my little mouth hole.... ever. 

The smell alone was that of sulfur and ammonia. I'm not sure why somebody would smell this strangely beautiful black egg and think, "It would be a great idea to EAT this."
No and No. 
But I did. 
I first scooped out some of soft yolk with my finger. The texture was really disturbing to me- and it tasted like a really pungent egg. Mixed with sulfur. I then took a bite of the rubbery, gelatinous outer part mixed with a bit of the yolk. Noah made  comment about blood, which quickly forced me to spit it all out and search for a strong liquid to drink and get the taste out of my mouth. 

I'm curious to try regular duck eggs, because I'm wondering if the flavor of these preserved guys are anything like fresh duck eggs. It's possible I wouldn't care for them, or that I am not used to such a strong and rich egg flavor. 
Maaaaybe it would be more edible mixed with ginger or soy sauce or Lord knows what, but I have to say... 100 year duck eggs- most definitely NOT for Jennifer. 



I have 5 left if you'd like to try one. 


1 comment:

TexasDeb said...

I.C.K.s

Maybe save those dark bad boys for an Easter Egg Hunt.