Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Secret's in the sauce"

When I lived with my grandparents while my marmy was in law school and my parpy taught nights at Odessa College, one of my favorite movies to watch was Fried Green Tomatoes. It just so happened that my favorite things to get from Jo-Jo's, a local hamburger shaped (and painted) dive was also fried green tomatoes. 

I decided to make some today. And they were positively deeeelicious!

I found a use for my pig foot! I fried it up with garlic in some oil so that I could use the dripplins for my lil' green guys. It added just the right bit of magic to complete them. 

I also decided to make my own buttermilk ranch dipping sauce. It was quite the experiment, and included Remember When buttermilk, Bulgarian yogurt, dill, parsley, garlic, celery seed, cider, and some other yumness. I even put it in a perty little bottle. 



The batter was a simple cornmeal/flour batter and I also used some of the buttermilk in the egg mixture. oh yes, I was quite happy with how they turned out. 

Thank you Mr. Farmers market men for giving me a taste of my childhood today. 

Happy Thursday!!

3 comments:

Shaela said...

this is my comment: yay nej!

Shaela said...

nevermind.

TexasDeb said...

Mmmm, fried green maters. Looks delicious and good for you to go to such trouble to make it all from scratch. The South salutes you!