Back in the day, this curly-headed girl tried out for and made the UT women's rowing team. I was an NCAA athlete for, eh, a month or so before deciding the full-time training and pain and dropping grades was not for me.
However, I did get forced in to a fondness for running in those days, and forced my boyfriend at the time, Emmanuel, to run with me. Although he had run track as a youngn', I'd like to credit myself for his getting back in to running in college. I like to think that at one time, I was a bit more in shape than him.
- Time passed.
- Jennifer began yoga and less body-damaging activities. :) Emmanuel kept running.
- Em trained himself to do a half marathon.
Me dropping Em off at 5-ish in the am for his races. Then I'd rush and wait at the mid-point and the end to photo/yell/wave.
- Tick-Tock Tick-Tock
- Emmanuel ran his first marathon in Austin. After finishing, rather than say "OK, that's that" this little Filipino says, "I think I'm going to qualify for Boston."
- More Time passed.
- Emmanuel happened upon a top-notch coach who took him under his wing.
- Emmanuel started working at Run-Tex. (You can thank him for the water deliveries around town lake and go to him for amazing athletic shoes)
- Emmanuel started running for TeamMac
- Emmanuel qualified for the Boston Marathon!! For those of you who don't know, Em's qualifying time had to be below 3 hours and 10 minutes..... That means 26 miles at a 7 minute 30 second pace... that is INSANE(ly awesome)!! He also did it at the Austin Marathon, which is one of the harder Texas marathon courses.
1904 Boston Marathon (earliest known picture)
- Em continues to run and get rediculously fast times, improving all the time.
- On Monday, April 20th, he will be running with 25,000 others at this prestigious event. He is hoping to achieve a personal record, but really he already has... he made it!